The Harfield Road Assembly of God was established in the 1950’s and met in various places before it finally purchased the property, 60 Harfield Road, Kenilworth in 1964. This site has housed the church that was the first Assembly of God church in the Western Cape.
In the mid 1960’s, under the ministry of Paul Lange, God blessed the church with a new 330 seater building. Sunday morning services rapidly grew to 500 people.
Under the ministry of John Bond from 1969 and the “Hippie Revival” that followed, the church continued to grow. Ten new churches were subsequently planted out of this growth.
a|CITY CHURCH today
In 2016 under the leadership of John and Debbie Sloane Harfield Church was renames a|CITY CHURCH. The premise for the name change is an authentic church built as a “city on a hill that cannot be hidden” Matthew 5: 14. Our church is dynamic in its diversity. It is a growing, progressive church that is a multicultural community of believers who have stopped just going to church and started being church. A church where no one is perfect, but anything can happen.
Standing on the shoulders of a strong foundation, a|CITY CHURCH is writing a new story.